Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Japanese Dictionaries



Yesterday, I listed a number of Japanese study tools I feel are very helpful for learning the Japanese language. Today I figured I would follow that up by another very important list, Japanese dictionaries.

Since we all spend so much time online, all the dictionaries I have listed are online dictionaries. My personal favorite is Denshi Jisho because of it's easy interface, and it's ability to look up words, sentences, and kanji. It is can also easily be accessed from cell phones.

For my non-online dictionary I use Kiten. Kiten is a free dictionary designed to run on linux and works excellent. However, I usually find myself going to Denshi Jisho to look up words.

Here is the list

  • Denshi Jisho- If I had to choose one dictionary, this would be it.
  • WWW.JDIC- Similar to Denshi Jisho, but a different interface.
  • ALC- Site in Japanese. Has some additional options.
  • Goo- Different dictionaries depending on what you are looking for.
  • Weblio- Another dictionary with a lot of search options.
Give them all a try and see which one works best for you. Sometimes, if you can't find a word in one, it will come up in another.

No comments: